Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Opportunities to be Salt and Light

si
Since I have finished the second phase of language I now have opportunities to be active trying to use my language.  One of the opportunities I had last month was to go to the clinic here that another team puts together every Saturday morning.  For the most part this team works with another people group, who does not speak the national language because they are here as refugees.  However, there are some people who come to this clinic that speak the national language.  For the most part the team focusing on this minority people group have a hard time communicating with the national speakers because they don't speak the language.  So I went one Saturday to try and help with language.  One of the ladies I got to talk to had two children who were sick.  One just had a cold, and the other one (asleep on her back the whole time) was suffering from a bad ear infection.  At the end I took their picture and helped them get their meds at the pharmacy.

I also got to help with a couple other patients this was one of the little girls waiting in line at the pharmacy (in blue above).  However, she didn't speak the national language, which is probably why she looks a little scared here.

The other opportunity I have had in the past couple of months to be Salt and Light is with a small family in a neighbourhood close to mine, yet worlds apart.  This opportunity is on going.  I went with another lady here partnering with us because she started this Storying Time with this family several months back.  This group is made up of a family of women (two widows), one of the widows daughters, another neighbourhood family (a husband, their 4 year old daughter, & the very pregnant wife).  This group is all in the national language, which is really stretching me!  We sit and listen to a story, drink coffee, eat popcorn, and then talk a little bit.  I have a national brother helping me with this.  I was supposed to meet with them by myself for the first time this past Sunday, but I was sick.  Please pr for them this next Sunday as we meet.  Pr that I would have enough language and the right words and questions for this family.  The picture above is of the two little girls who are a part of this story time.  The little girl to the right belongs to the family in this community that helps us so much with these Story Groups.  The parents and grandparents are all your Brothers and Sisters and they are a very strong family.  Pr for them, and for their perserverence.
The final picture to this series of posts is of me in the head covering that the Othr ladies where here when they go to ch.  This one was made by the mother of the national family that is helping me with the Story Time.  This is pretty much how they wear it; however, if someone has died and they are at the funereal the colour on the bottom of the shawl/scarf goes around the face.  These are often commonly used to keep warm during rainy season as well.
Serving Him with You (where ever I am),
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment